Forgot Password ?

It’s safe to say that everyone knows accidents happen. Insurance for automobiles is important to have no matter where you live. Even if you consider yourself a safe driver, you can’t always prevent what other people do on the road. Understanding the way you yourself drives will help you determine which auto policies are required for you to have, and which extra policies might benefit you. Depending on what state you live in, the insurance laws that your state requires may vary. The laws that protect these insurance policies have changed over the years to remain relevant to the times it has to keep up with.

Common Auto Insurance Requirements

Car accident with woman on phone and man looking through papersMost states require insurance policies that hold accountability for death or property damage. In Ohio, the cost of property damage in an accident and injury or death to one person totals to $25,000. For the injury or death of two people, the fine doubles to $50,000, however cases vary depending on the severity and implications of the accident. These auto insurance policies are known as bodily injury liability and property damage liability.

Personal Injury Protection

Also known as no-fault insurance, personal injury protection is a form of auto insurance that provides medical expenses to be paid for all drivers in the accident. This policy is different from others because it gives all who are involved in the accident medical coverage. In other auto insurance policies, it’s often the at-fault driver who is required to pay the medical expenses of all that are involved.

Comprehensive Coverage: Do I Need It?

While comprehensive coverage is listed as an add-on for auto insurance, it’s one that many people opt to pay. Like renter’s insurance for an apartment, comprehensive auto insurance coverage gives you the opportunity to cover unpredictable instances. If you look at the probability of these occurrences, many of them are fairly common depending on where you live and your individual circumstances.

Lender Requirements

While not all states require every type of insurance, if you lease or finance a vehicle, odds are it’s going to be required by your lender. This helps prevent lenders and rental companies from being sued or fined for accidents that take place out of their hands. For example, if you want to lease a car from a car rental company, they’re likely going to offer you a plan like collision insurance. This specific insurance is an optional add-on insurance at many car dealerships, however, at rental companies, it’s required.

Woman signing a car insurance policy, the agent is pointing at the document

Extra Auto Insurance Protection to Consider

Because some of us are better drivers than others, there are additional auto insurance add-ons that are offered to give drivers more protection. Even if you consider yourself a safe driver, there may be some extra policies you can benefit from. Common add-ons include:

  • Uninsured Motorist Coverage: gives protection if you’re hit by an uninsured driver
  • Underinsured Motorist Coverage: gives protection if you’re hit by someone that pays auto insurance but not enough to cover your expenses
  • Medical Payments Coverage: Allows medical expenses like x-rays, hospital visits and surgeries to be covered if you, the driver, are the at-fault driver
  • Comprehensive Coverage: Covers damages like theft, fire, hail and vandalism to be protected up to the original value of the item

Need More Clarification?

Home & Auto Resources is a team of experts ready to provide you with advice and knowledge for all your home and auto questions. Our team of professionals have various experience levels that can relate to anyone wherever they might be in their auto insurance journey. We’ve compiled a selection of resources related to both homes and automobiles. For further explanation of collision insurance, we’re here to help. Visit our website for more information or call 888-535-2762 today!

Continue Reading


Have a question we haven’t considered yet? Fill out our contact form and we’ll get back to you!